Setting up a custom web domain for your website
Setting up a custom web domain for your website will allow it to appear at an address like http://www.example.com or just http://example.com (presuming you control the domain that you want to use, of course).
There are a number of steps to take in order to setup a custom web domain for your website.
Upgrade your subscription plan
Firstly, you'll have to upgrade your site to the paid plan if it isn't already. Custom web domains are not available for trial sites.
To upgrade your site:
- Click on Settings » Subscription in the Control Menu.
- Then click on the Update button. (If you don't see this button, your site is already upgraded.)
- And follow through with payment.
This should proceed smoothly. If you encounter any errors, please contact us for help.
Register a domain name
Next, you'll need to register an internet domain name with a domain name registrar.
There are many domain registrars on the Net, and a simple web search will show up some of them. If you don't know who to pick, you can try a well-known registrar like Go Daddy or eNom.
Visit your chosen domain registrar and register your desired domain name.
(If you want to also receive email at your new domain name, you'll need to get email hosting with your registrar. ProsePoint Express currently doesn't provide an email service. Or else, you can just use your existing email address.)
You may have to wait for up to 3 days before you can use your domain name. This depends on your domain registrar, so ask them if it seems to be taking a while.
Point your domain name to front.prosepoint.net
Once you have a registered domain name available and ready, then you have to point it to front.prosepoint.net. For this to happen, your domain name records need to be edited, and this is where things may get a bit tricky.
Copy and paste the instructions below, fill in the blanks, and email it to your domain registrar. They should be able to follow it and make the necessary changes to your domain name records for you.
Please create a new record of type CNAME with the name www.__________ and the value 'front.prosepoint.net'. If necessary, please delete any existing records of type A or AAAA or CNAME with the same name.
Remember to replace __________ with the domain name you have newly registered (ie. example.com. Don't forget to retain the 'www' in the message).
Hopefully this should also proceed smoothly.
You may have to wait up to a day or two for the changes to take effect. Again, this depends on your domain registrar.
Configure the web address of your site
Next, you have to configure your site so it knows about your new domain name.
- Click on Settings » Web addresses in the Control Menu.
- In the Custom domain textfield, enter your newly registered domain name without the 'www' and click Save.
- The page should refresh itself and show an updated list of web address options. Select your Preferred web address and click Save again.
- If your domain name is correctly pointing to front.prosepoint.net using a CNAME as described above, then your custom domain has been setup. Congratulations!
- If your domain name is not correctly pointing to front.prosepoint.net using a CNAME, you will see an error message asking that you point your web address to front.prosepoint.net. Please see the section above (or maybe you just have to wait a while for the changes to take effect).
Once your custom web domain has been setup, your website will be operating off your own web address.
If you encounter any problems, please contact us.